I had emailed her earlier in the day and told her the problem was back … but that I had managed to fix it using the same steps as before.
She, as ever, was very pleasant, polite and supportive. She had this to say in the middle of her email: “Yes Anura, this is a issue with Windows 7 which I had put forward to the development team when you had created the case initially. I am following up with them to check if there is any fix available yet. The moment I come to know about the fix you would be the first one to know about it.”
Her email address goes ***@mssupport.microsoft.com. So she is definitely a part of the overall MSFT support organization, though I am sure she is part of the ‘out-sourced’ effort in India. [And I base that on the amazing diligence and cordiality.]
I have to think the Windows 7 team knew of this problem for months.
I did another Google on ‘Windows 7 padlock icon‘. There are pages and pages of results. It appears folks first ran into this in July with the Release Candidate (RC). So by the time I encountered it in November … it had to have been old news.
I also went onto the Windows 7 Support Knowledgebase and did a search on ‘padlock icon’.
I didn’t find any fixes DIRECTLY from MSFT. Just stuff from Windows 7 related forums. Yes, I found a couple of fixes. They are all variations of what I used. Everybody agrees. The ‘permissions’ for those files are getting whacked. So basically you have to go in and rest the ‘permissions.’
But this … now acknowledged Windows 7 bug … bothers me. This is the kind of bug that MSFT should fix, in a hurry, with an update. But, as I have already talked about … MSFT is being very lax, if not stingy, with the Windows 7 updates.
So, we will just have to wait and see. I will, of course, keep you updated. Thanks & cheers.