I got this for YOU from the ‘Microsoft Answers’ forum. Go there by all means to get all the dirt, and in this case we really are talking about DIRT. Unmitigated dirt.
So here are the steps. THIS IS NOT FUNNY. May Steve Jobs help you IF you do not have a Windows XP install disk.
1. Boot from your Windows XP CD or DVD and start the recovery console (see this Microsoft article for help with this step)
Once you are in the Repair Screen ..
2. Type this command: CHDIR $NtUninstall KB978262$\spuninst
<< NO space before that second ‘$’ prefixing \spuninst. >>
3. Type this command: BATCH spuninst.txt
4. Type this command: systemroot
5. Repeat steps 2 – 4 for each of the following updates provided by FindMeFollowMe:
6. When complete, type this command: exit
Your computer should restart and everything should be back to normal.
Keep your toes crossed and keep on chanting: “damn you Microsoft, damn you Microsoft, Balmer looks best in drag.”