Archive for June, 2010

Yes, I will confess I am not as diligent as I used to be when it comes to the timely installation of Windows 7 Updates — in particular the recurrent KB915597 updates for Windows Defender. [Rightly or wrongly I tend to believe that my fully paid for Avast 4.8 Professional protects me better than Windows Defender.]  For a week or more I had seen that there was a new KB915597 but I didn’t install it till just a few minutes ago.

[In case you are wondering, I do have Windows Update TURNED OFF and have had it turned off since earlier this year. If I am so inclined, couple of times a week, before I turn off this PC around midnight, to go to bed, I will do a manual check to see what updates are pending. That is how I know what is awaiting.]

Today, I had some free time so I decided to install the latest KB915597 but discovered that there were also 5 other updates. 4 were optional. Of these one was a cumulative update for Media Center (KB981078), while the other was a .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (KB982670). I opted to install both of these — just in case.

Two of the optional updates were to do with LEGACY application compatibility. I read the detailed info. I had never even heard of the applications let alone use them so I hid those two.

Then the one important update, not counting the latest KB915597, was for .NET Framework 3.5 SP1. I installed it, because I am never sure what applications rely on .NET Framework.


Something is up with Windows Defender updates. I did some checking. The frequency of the updates, i.e., KBKB915597, has slowed dramatically. The last update, for Definition Set 1.83.1268.0 was three weeks ago.

Check the Microsoft Malware Protection Center log << here >>. Something doesn’t feel right. I will TRY and keep an eye.

So that is it. I did a RESTART. So far, so good. Did a QUICK SCAN with Windows Defender because Action Center was pleading with me. That was fine too — but I expect that.

All the best. Don’t install the optional legacy compatibility updates IF you do not use those legacy applications. Best to hid them.

Anura Guruge

Read Full Post »

To be honest, the last time I had FireFox 3.6.3 crash was on May 12, 2010. So nearly a month ago. But, I will also readily concede that of late I have NOT been hammering on FireFox either — given that I am not doing as much concentrated research.

The other night, I got curious and went looking to see when I might get FireFox 4. Well that is still a ways out … FireFox 4 in essence being 3.6.7 … renamed as 4.

But, I saw that the 3.6.4 beta was on its final days. Pretty close to being released. Well, I had used the beat of 3.6.2. So, I was game. Not working on a book … at least, on in anger. So a bit of instability wouldn’t druve me totally nuts.

On Monday, June 7, I downloaded and installed FireFox 3.6.4 on my XP box. I was amazed how smoothly it went. It was treated as a straight upgrade and my theme and plug-ins all seem to work.

So yesterday, Tuesday, June 8, after I installed all the Windows updates and checked out this PC … I went for broke. I upgraded to FireFox 3.6.4. beta. (I think it was rc6). Again, the upgrade was smooth and everything just came up. No messages that I had incompatible plug-ins.

So far, so good. I will keep you posted.


Anura Guruge

Read Full Post »

by: Anura Guruge

I knew today, June 08, 2010, was a ‘Patch Tuesday’ for Windows.

I still have Windows Update turned off after the debacles in December-February. So I have to manually check. I had been remiss about installing updates over the last week. I knew there was a new Windows Defender, KB915597 update … this time for Definition Set 1.83.1268.0. But, I let it sit there for a week.

But, today, I downloaded and installed a total of 15, yes fifteen updates … with 5 of these being for Office 2007, one a cumulative security update for IE 8 (K982381), the Windows Defender Update, Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool (KB890830) and one for Microsoft Silverlight (KB982926). It was 67.2MB of downsloads.

All appears to be well. I had to restart. It restarted ‘OK’ after a short, heart-stopping hiatus to say that it was ‘reconfiguring Windows after the updates.’

That restart was a few hours ago. Since then I have run Auslogics Registry Cleaner (88 errors), Registry Defrag (and yes, it defragged … saying it could improve performance by 1.7%) and a Disk Optimize. I also just tried Excel 2007. So far, so good.

So here are the Windows 7-related updates I appear to have successfully installed today:

1/ KB980195 — Cumulative Security Update for ActiveX Killbits

2/ KB979482, KB980218, KB979559 — Security Updates for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems

3/ KB890830 — Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool

4/ KB91559 — Windows Defender update, this time for Definition Set 1.83.1268.0.

5/ KB982926 — Update for Microsoft Silverlight

6/ K982381 — Cumulative Security Update for IE 8 << can’t vouch for this, I haven’t used IE in months! >>

So that is where we are. So far, so good.

Good luck. All the best. Safe Updating.

Read Full Post »